This article continues
1 Zone / 16 Tray / 2.56m² Tray Areaview
Makes 4 leathers
- 4 apples, cored but not peeled
- 1 cup apple juice or water
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a blender, combine the ingredients and blend until smooth, with an applesauce-like consistency.
- Pour the puree into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium, and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Let cool, then pour 1 cup of puree per leather in strips on a drying sheet set in a dehydrator tray. Slap the tray on the counter a couple times to level the liquid. Dehydrate at 125°F (52°C) until the leathers easily peel off the drying sheet, 10 to 12 hours.
- Peel the leathers off the sheet and place them on the mesh rack of the dehydrator tray, then place back into the dehydrator for another 2 to 3 hours. Store as directed while warm. Candy Apple Leather: Follow the directions for Apple Leather, adding 8 hard cinnamon candies to the puree when it is transferred to the saucepan. Stir as the mixture heats up until the candies have melted. Apple Mint Leather: Follow the directions for Apple Leather, adding 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint to the blender.